Smoked Canadian Bacon.
You can have Smoked Canadian Bacon using 7 ingredients and 21 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Smoked Canadian Bacon
- Prepare 1 large of pork loin.
- Prepare 1 of morton's tenderquick.
- Prepare 1 of pure maple syrup.
- It’s 1 of onion powder.
- Prepare 1 of garlic powder.
- It’s 1 of dark brown sugar.
- You need 1 of hardwood for smoking.
Smoked Canadian Bacon step by step
- Remove silver skin and trim fat away from pork loin.
- If pork loin is large cut into approximately 2 to 3 pound loafs.
- The ratios of ingredients are 1 tablespoon of Morton's tenderquick per pound and the dark brown sugar garlic powder and onion powder is one teaspoon per pound.
- For example a two pound chub would have 2 tablespoons of tender quick and 2 teaspoons each of remaining ingredients.
- Once you have determined your measurements mix all dry ingredients together.
- The maple syrup is not mandatory for this so I use just enough with the dry ingredients 2 distribute them evenly.
- If you opt to not use the maple syrup it is crucial that you evenly distribute the dry ingredients.
- Once you have evenly distributed on the pork loin place in a ziploc bag (I double bag for safety) and place in 35 to 40 degree fridge for six days,massaging daily.
- The tender quick cures the pork to inhibit botulism from forming.
- After 6 days remove from the bag and immerse in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Now you can slice a piece off and throw it in a frying pan and fry it up to see if its too salty.
- If it is still too salty repeat step 10.
- Pat pork loin dry and place on plate in refrigerator uncovered overnight.
- This allows pellicule (rind)to form on the outside.
- Pick the hardwood of your choice to smoke with. I prefer something mild such as maple or Apple.
- set your smoker temperature to 225 °.
- 2 hours of smoke and bring the internal temperature of the bacon to 140°.
- wrap in aluminum foil until cool enough to handle.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or vacuum seal and place in refrigerator for 48 hours to mellow out.
- after 48 hrs. slice in 1/8″ pieces or however thick you choose.
- you can omit any of the ingredients as long as you keep the Morton's tenderquick.