Nanaimo Bars (Canada's other favourite dessert!).
You can have Nanaimo Bars (Canada's other favourite dessert!) using 16 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Nanaimo Bars (Canada's other favourite dessert!)
- It’s 8 Inch of square baking tray, or similarly sized.
- It’s of — Bottom Layer —.
- It’s 110 grams of butter (1/2 cup).
- It’s 50 grams of white sugar (1/4 cup).
- Prepare 40 grams of cocoa (5 tablespoons).
- You need 1 of egg (beaten).
- Prepare 100 grams of graham cracker crumbs (1 1/4 cups).
- Prepare 1 cup of coconut.
- Prepare of — Filling —.
- Prepare 110 grams of butter (1/2 cup).
- Prepare 40 grams of heavy cream (2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons).
- You need 20 grams of custard powder (2 tablespoon).
- Prepare 250 grams of icing sugar (about 2 cups).
- Prepare of — Top Layer —.
- It’s 115 grams of milk or semi-sweet chocolate (4 oz).
- You need 30 grams of butter (2 tablespoon).
Nanaimo Bars (Canada's other favourite dessert!) instructions
- For the bottom layer, melt your butter, white sugar and cocoa in a double boiler (this is a second pot sitting on top of a pot with gently boiling water in it)..
- Remove from the heat, and add the egg, and stir until the mixture thickens. Then stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts..
- Press mixture into your pan using a rubber spatula..
- For the filling, cream together the butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar. Beat this until it has a light consistency, and then spread on top of the bottom layer. If your butter is too hard to cream, you can melt it in advance..
- Spread on top of the bottom layer..
- For the top layer, melt the chocolate and the butter together with your double boiler and mix, once combined remove from heat..
- Let it cool, and while still liquid spread it over the filling layer..
- Cover your tray with plastic wrap, and place in the fridge to cool for at least an hour or two..
- Cut into pieces, and serve cold with tea or coffee. Enjoy!.