Cabbage Rolls. Flavorful cabbage rolls, stuffed with beef, pork, and farro, and braised in a savory tomato broth until melt-in-your-mouth tender. Cabbage rolls are a hearty dish traditionally made from ground meat, cabbage leaves, and tomato sauce, and they can be cooked in the oven, on the stove, or in the slow cooker. These UNSTUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS have all the flavor of a traditional cabbage roll with minimal work!
Cabbage roll recipes are everywhere on the internet but many of them are cooked in tomato-based My cabbage rolls are cooked in clear chicken broth. This is the way I have always cooked them and. My dad was the family cook so I learned to make Polish cabbage rolls (golabki) growing up. You can have Cabbage Rolls using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cabbage Rolls
- It’s 1 1/2-2 lb of hamburger, raw.
- You need 2 cans of tomato sauce (680 ml).
- It’s 1 can of diced tomatoes (796 ml).
- You need 2 of medium onions chopped.
- You need 2 of eggs beaten with a fork.
- You need 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of Montreal steak spice.
- Prepare 1 of cabbage.
- You need 1 cup of uncooked minute rice.
We always used Uncle Ben's converted rice in the stuffing but the mushrooms are optional. These Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls make the perfect weeknight dinner recipe! Why do all the work of the traditional cabbage rolls when you can have this easy version with a fraction of the time and effort? how to make cabbage rolls-. Though the process of making stuffed cabbage rolls (pigs in a blanket) is slightly more time consuming than most recipes, it's SO worth the wait.
Cabbage Rolls step by step
- With a paring knife remove core on bottom of cabbage.
- Add water to large pot when boiling put cabbage in being careful not to overflow water. I stuck a large fork in hole where core was removed to prevent splashing putting in and taking out of pot. Allow to boil until leaves are soft enough to peel off..
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients except tomato sauce. Use half of the diced tomatoes saving the rest for later. I used nitrile gloves to keep my hands clean..
- Remove cabbage and peel leaves. With sharp peeler run along spine to reduce thickness.
- Place leaf with thick end away from you. Put some meat mixture on the leaf roll and fold ends (like a burrito) try to keep it tight..
- Put a splash of tomato sauce on bottom of crock pot then add cabbage rolls neatly. With knife pierce 3 or 4 small holes in cabbage rolls to allow tomato sauce in while cooking and juices out to improve flavor of sauce..
- When first layer is full cover with tomato sauce. Repeat with next row, fill to top of crock pot. Pour remaining tomato sauce topping with the saved diced tomatoes..
- Set crock pot to low for 8 hours. I like to probe after 8 hours. A reading of 160 degrees insures hamburger is cooked..
- Make some mashed potatoes, use sauce/gravey from crock pot over potatoes and cabbage rolls. Enjoy.
Simply assemble you cabbage rolls and cover with sauce. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and then My grandfather always baked his Stuffed Cabbage Rolls in the same baking dish every single time. Stuffed Cabbage rolls is a dish that every Russian and Ukrainian family makes. It's a true comfort food for us, while managing to be quite healthy! It might be a little fiddly but not difficult at all.