Nanaimo Bar. Nanaimo Bars – a deliciously tempting treat made with decadent chocolate, honey sweetened graham crackers, crunchy nuts, rich butter and custard powder. Nanaimo Bars are one of Canada's favorite confections. The beautiful City of Nanaimo, British Columbia has claimed them as their own.
The story goes that a Nanaimo housewife entered a recipe. Yes, I dared to toy with a Canadian classic! I've had several requests over the years for a standard Nanaimo Bar recipe but I'd never posted one. You can cook Nanaimo Bar using 16 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Nanaimo Bar
- Prepare of Bottom Layer.
- It’s 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- You need 5 tbsp of cocoa.
- Prepare 1 of egg (beaten).
- Prepare 1 1/4 cup of Graham cracker crumbs.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of chopped almonds.
- You need 1 cup of coconut (shredded).
- It’s of Middle Layer.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 2/3 tbsp of cream.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of vanilla custard podwer.
- It’s 2 cup of icing sugar.
- Prepare of Top Layer.
- Prepare 4 oz of semi-sweet chocolate.
- It’s 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.
Nanaimo Bars are a classic Canadian Christmas dessert. The holidays wouldn't be the same In case you didn't notice, I'm a bit excited. The first time I shared my mom's Nanaimo bar recipe with you was. This iconic Canadian dessert recipe comes straight from the heart of Nanaimo, B.
Nanaimo Bar step by step
- Melt the butter, sugar, and cocoa together in the top of a double boiler..
- Once melted, add the egg(s) and stir to cook and thicken. Once thickened, remove from heat..
- Stir in crumbs, coconut, and nuts, mix well..
- Press mixture firmly into an ungreased 8″ x 8″ pan..
- In a new bowl, cream together the butter, cream, custard powder, and icing sugar together well..
- Beat mixture until it is a light consistency, then spread overtop of the bottom layer..
- Chill with second layer for 1 hour or until custard is solid..
- Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Once the chocolate is liquefied, remove from heat..
- Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill the whole pan in refrigerator..
- Once solid, cut into squares, serve and enjoy!.
C. – from the annals of the one-and-only Nanaimo Museum! Whip up a batch of our homemade Nanaimo bars and celebrate our culinary heritage. Learn how to cook your favourite Canadian dishes at Kraft What's Cooking. Cakespy: Triple Chocolate Nanaimo Bars Recipe. Nanaimo Bars are a fairly perfect food to begin with: a decadent three-part confection made up of a chocolate graham cracker crust, a (vanilla).